You’ve probably heard of beef and barley soup. For this week’s meatless Monday, we swapped out the beef for mushrooms and the result was pretty great. Creamy without dairy and hearty without meat.
Mushroom Barley Soup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound sliced mushrooms
6 cups vegetarian broth
3/4 cup barley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add in the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender and transparent.
3. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes.
4. Pour in the chicken broth, add barley and seasoning.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
6. Cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 50 minutes.
7. Give it a stir, adjust seasoning, serve & enjoy!
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com