I about fell over when I watched this segment of The Kitchen when Chef Geoffrey said he was making creamed corn with NO DAIRY! Before I developed lactose intolerance, I was obsessed with creamed corn. This seemed so perfect for Thanksgiving, so I thought I’d share with y’all! I meant to test and try this out before posting, but I ran out of time before the big day. I still plan on making this at some point and will update this post when I do!
If you’re still looking for a last minute, fast and easy side dish to bring to the Thanksgiving table–look no further!
No-Cream Creamed Corn with Bacon
6 ears fresh corn, shucked
1 cup applewood smoked bacon, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Slice the corn kernels off the cobs. Put 1/3 of the kernels in a blender and save the other 2/3 in a bowl.
2. Puree corn kernels and strain out the corn juice into a small saucepan.
3. Cook bacon over low heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain off most of the fat, then add the onions and cook over medium heat. Once tender and translucent, add the 2/3 corn kernels and continue to cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a small saucepan with corn juice and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes. Once a thick pudding forms, season with salt and pepper.
5. Combine the corn and bacon mixture with the corn juice pudding. Add the chives and you’re ready to serve.
Enjoy! I’m off to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and National Dog Show 🙂
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!