Tofu is one of my favorite ingredients to cook due to its versatility. Learn how to cook crispy tofu for your next plant-based dish!
Tofu is one of my favorite ingredients to cook due to its versatility. Hands down, crispy tofu is the way to go when adding tofu to soups or grain bowls. Learn how to cook crispy tofu for your next plant-based dish!
I was amazed at how easy tofu is to cook with and how inexpensive it is! Since I still had half a block of tofu left, the following night we made rice and topped it with our tofu/steak. Still amazing! Granted, I did use way less cornstarch on the tofu–but it’s all a learning process.
Now I think I’ve figured out how to cook crispy tofu on the stove in a fairly short amount of time. Let me know what you think or any techniques you use!
How to Cook Crispy Tofu
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- Sesame oil or your preferred vegetable, peanut, grapeseed, or olive oil
- Remove tofu from packaging and cut into strips or squares to your desired size. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and lay tofu flat. Cover with more paper towels, and place a second baking sheet on top. If you need more weight, place a cast iron skillet on top of the second baking sheet. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, to remove the moisture.
- If you plan on making a marinade, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl. Once the moisture has been removed from the tofu, place pieces into a bowl and let marinate.
- If you're not using a marinade, prepare a dish for tofu pieces to rest. Sprinkle salt all over the tofu, then coat in cornstarch. You really don't need a lot, depending on how much tofu you're cooking at once. Simply coat and then place back down to rest until time to cook.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet. Once hot, place tofu pieces flat. You should hear sizzling–if you don't, it's not hot enough. Be careful not to burn your tofu, you'll know they're ready to flip when they don't stick to the bottom or when you can see them browning.
- Once you see browning, flip to the other side. Cook to desired brownness, flipping the tofu on each side.
- Transfer crispy tofu to a cooling rack to slightly cool before eating.
How do you enjoy your tofu? Do you have a favorite marinade? Let me know in the comments!
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
More tofu recipes: